Image

Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

 

 

EVENTS

 

MEMBERS’ TOURS

FIRST QUARTER PROGRAMME

JANUARY TO MARCH, 2019

 

JANUARY 2018

Please note that unfortunately the this tour has been cancelled but will be re-scheduled in the foreseeable future.

WALKING TOUR - ‘SKIN DEEP – JOBURG’S REMARKABLE SCULPTURES, FRIEZES AND RELIEFS’

SATURDAY, 26th JANUARY

How often have I heard a Joburger say: “I worked here and walked these streets, and didn’t notice these details!” Perhaps our preoccupation with traffic and busy pavements prevents us from looking up. A great pity, because so much of our City’s beauty lies on its skin – in the form of sculptural details, friezes and reliefs on its buildings.

In Skin Deep, Ted Botha and Brett McDougall will explore the beauty and richness of these sculptural elements, which have been used by architects to proclaim the function of a building, link owners with an (often imagined) glorious past, elevate tawdry surroundings, or simply provide a gift to the street.

In this exploration we will encounter a remarkable group of artists:

Carlos Marega, Italian by birth and training, and who would later have a distinguished career in Canada, but not before he adorned the Standard Bank Chambers with a dignified set of the classical figures representing Industry and Agriculture.

René Shapshak, born in Paris, educated at the École des Beaux-Arts, and whose creations would become the epitomy of the Art Deco City’s modernity and sophistication.

Willem de Sandere Hendrikz, who was commissioned by Volkskas to establish a visual connection between the past and the ideal of the economic empowerment of Afrikaners at their Market Square head office, but who chose to teach in the English, liberal environment of Wits.

This is a tour not to be missed!

GUIDES : Brett McDougall and Ted Botha
PARK :
At the Carlton Centre. Meet at the the newspaper seller sculpture on Fox Street between Kruis and Von Brandis
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : Approximately 3 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No : 60

FEBRUARY 2018

 

BUS TOUR - ‘HONOURING BLACK HISTORY MONTH IN DUBE’

SATURDAY, 2nd FEBRUARY

Dube was envisaged as the first township where black residents would be able to design their own homes. It was intended to attract the intellectuals and free spirits who loathed the idea of living in little boxes. Sadly the concept was scotched by the Bantu Affairs Department but not before a few had succeeded. In Pioneer Street we encounter professors, PHDs and the creative playwright and director Gibson Kente.  One house has harboured two famous couples: first built for Dr AB Xuma and his wife Kate when they were evicted from Sophiatown, the next owners were Dr Nthato Motlana and his wife Sally Motlane. Dr Motlana led the Committee of Ten, an unofficial and voluntary group of eminent concerned citizens which was the only authority recognised in Soweto during the 1980’s when the aim was to make the townships ungovernable.

But Dube boasts other famous names: Andrew Mlangene a cadre of MK trained in China, but who was arrested before he could put into practice any of the knowledge gained from Chairman Mao. Tried along with Nelson Mandela in the Rivonia Trials he served 28 year on Robben Island.

Richard Maponya started his first store just around the corner from his small home and proved so successful he opened Maponya Mall

Alan Paton, when he was headmaster at Diepkloof Reformatory, laid the foundation stone of the Mampuru Hall. Just beyond are the grounds of George Tabor College which was the first black artisan training school. These were the construction workers who built the Orlando Recreation Hall and many other buildings. They were fine artisans and the buildings they constructed still stand thanks to fine and careful brickwork.

The African Methodist Episcopal Church A.M.E. is one of the most significant buildings in Dube. Founded in America in 1816 A.M.E. was the first Black Protestant church to demonstrate its freedom from white dominance.

And there still remain some of the 200 very small cottages built for returning servicemen after World War II. In one of these Tokyo Sexwale grew up, His father Frank had fought in World War I and World War II. Hardly surprising that Frank’s son continued the military tradition, joining MK.

We’ll be unveiling a number of blue plaques honouring the men and women of Dube who contributed so much to the City’s heritage.

GUIDES : Cheche Selepe, Tshenolo Mokhele and Flo Bird
PARK :
Sunnyside Park Hotel, Princess of Wales Terrace, Parktown
TIME : 13h00
DURATION : 4 hours
COST : R300 for members and R370 for non-members
MAX No : 50

 

HOUSE TOUR - ‘LIFESTYLES OF VICTORIAN JOBURG’S RICH AND FAMOUS’

SATURDAY, 2nd FEBRUARY

This is a tale of rags to riches, of hard work and not a little luck, and the comforts that were enjoyed by the privileged few in the ramshackle colonial outpost of Johannesburg. Thomas Cullinan arrived in the City in 1887 a humble bricklayer, but by 1896 he was able to build The View, a fabulous statement of wealth on the Parktown ridge.
The richness of detail and ornamentation quite takes the breath away, and the impact of the interiors is heightened by the regalia and history of the Transvaal Scottish, which is proudly on display. This spectacular mansion has been beautifully restored.

We will explore the house and be enthralled by the story of the Cullinans and the history of the Transvaal Scottish, and we will also learn of domestic life in Victorian and Edwardian Johannesburg. But the highlight for many will be tea and scones served in grand surroundings!

GUIDES : Dr Alexandra Parker and Kennedy Tembo
PARK :
The View, 23 Ridge Road, Parktown
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 2 hours
COST : R170.00 for members and R240.00 for non-members – which includes tea and scones
MAX No : 40

 

WALKING TOUR - ‘VERY DOWNTON ABBEY – GLENSHIEL AND ITS NEIGHBOURS’

SATURDAY, 9th FEBRUARY

Sir William and Lady Dalrymple are the closest thing to royalty this rabble town ever got. In 1908 they commissioned Herbert Baker to design a home high on the Westcliff ridge. Baker and his partner Fleming’s response was Glenshiel, an imposing butterfly-wing residence. So palatial were the stables, that when the house was gifted to the Order of St John by Major Haggie, he simply converted them into a substantial home for himself.

One of the first homes to have a swimming pool and tennis courts, Glenshiel was the set for glittering parties and distinguished guests, including Princess Alice the Countess of Athlone, granddaughter of Queen Victoria. We are privileged to have access to the interior to admire the panelling and rather grand hall, but for many the highlight of the visit will be the garden where, if the hail hasn’t damaged them, you can scent the roses from the terrace.

Our tour starts at the Ridge School (originally the Woolsack and home of Sir Aubrey Woolls-Sampson) which has fine views south, and then proceeds to Glenshiel. We shall also hear about the Schumacher residence, Pallinghurst, now the Hope School, from a vantage point on the hill overlooking views down towards Zoo Lake.  We will proceed to The Stables, a house which has evolved with time from housing horses to some much more distinguished residence.

GUIDES : Janet Hughes, Franky Toussaint and Ed Coogan
PARK :
The Ridge School, Woolston Road, Westcliff
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 3 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No :
50

 

WALKING TOUR -‘KING EDWARD VII SCHOOL’

SUNDAY, 17th FEBRUARY

KES is a product of the Milner administration, which brought excellent, if Anglo-centric, education to post-1902 Johannesburg. Originally housed in a vacant cigar factory on the corner of Gold and Kerk Streets in Johannesburg, it soon moved to Barnato Park where it was established in the mansion that originally had been designed for Barney Barnato. But these premises also proved inadequate, and in 1911 the school was finally moved to a new site on the Houghton Ridge, provided by Barnato’s Johannesburg Consolidated Investments at half its market value. 

It has magnificent buildings and grounds and a proud history, but this is not an institution stuck in the past. The school has had the foresight to appoint heritage architect Joy Campkin-Smith to guide the renewal of existing heritage structures at the school, and to provide for the school’s growth with exciting, new buildings. Her re-imagining of the old gymnasium into a Media Centre and Museum won the 2013 GIfA Award, and she will be leading a very fortunate group through this and more recent projects at the school.

GUIDES : Joy Campkin-Smith
PARK :
At the entrance to KES, on St Patrick’s Road, Upper Houghton
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : Approximately 2.5 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No :
40

 

 

BOOK LAUNCH AND WALKING TOUR - ‘JOHANNESBURG THEN & NOW, AND AN EXCLUSIVE TOUR OF THE JOHN MOFFAT BUILDING’

SATURDAY, 23rd FEBRUARY

Marc Latilla has recently published “Johannesburg Then & Now”, to critical acclaim and to the delight of Joburg book collectors. Join him and Prof. Katherine Munro as they talk about the inspiration for the book, his creative process, and why Johannesburg is such a compelling subject.

And then join Marc and Kathy as they tour the John Moffat Building, which houses the Faculty of Architecture at Wits. In the 1950s Professor John Fassler led a team that was tasked to “produce a work of architecture which sat well in its context, respecting its neighbours, a work not of an ephemeral fashion, but one which would age with grace, and framework of accommodation practically efficient and spiritually congenial, in which teachers could educate, and coming generations develop intellectually and creatively.” The outcome was the John Moffat Building – not entirely uncontroversial in its time, but which has come to represent a successful adaptation of Corbusier-inspired modernism to an architecturally eclectic campus.

The building has many delectable details, and is in fine condition, so this tour will be a popular one!

GUIDES : Prof. Katherine Munro and Marc Latilla
PARK :
Wits East or West Campus – meet at the John Moffat Building
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 2 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No :
50

 

MARCH 2018

 

WALKING TOUR - ‘HISTORIC HOLLARD STREET AND THE MINERALS COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA’

SATURDAY, 2nd MARCH

Hollard Street was for many years the site of Johannesburg’s Stock Exchange, and it retains various historic elements such as the bold sandstone name from the original Cullinan Building, the Stamp Battery from Langlaagte and the fountain representing the golden reef.  

We are most fortunate to be able to include a tour of the old Chamber of Mines building, now the Minerals Council of South Africa.

The Johannesburg Chamber of Mines was established in1887 in the Central Hotel in Commissioner Street. The founding companies of the Chamber read like a 'who's who of Joburg history' - The Corner House, representing Wernher & Beit, and led by H Eckstein and JB Taylor; Consolidated Gold Fields led by Cecil Rhodes; the Robinson Group led by JB Robinson; and the Johannesburg Consolidated Investment Company led by Barney Barnato.
Completed between 1921 and 1923, the second Chamber of Mines Building constitutes an architectural and historic anchor in Hollard Street. Today the stepped façade of the building and spectacular cast concrete panels make it one of the City’s Art Deco treasures. But this was achieved through a remarkable reimagining of the building that was completed in 1954.

Explore this remarkable building and its surrounds with Flo Bird and Brian Kent McKechnie.

GUIDES : Flo Bird and Brian Kent McKechnie
PARK :
In the basement of the Minerals Council – enter from Marshall St. Meet at the fountain in Hollard Street.
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 3 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No : 50

HOUSE TOUR - ‘LIFESTYLES OF VICTORIAN JOBURG’S RICH AND FAMOUS’

SUNDAY, 10th MARCH

This is a tale of rags to riches, of hard work and not a little luck, and the comforts that were enjoyed by the privileged few in the ramshackle colonial outpost of Johannesburg. Thomas Cullinan arrived in the City in 1887 a humble bricklayer, but by 1896 he was able to build The View, a fabulous statement of wealth on the Parktown ridge.

The richness of detail and ornamentation quite takes the breath away, and the impact of the interiors is heightened by the regalia and history of the Transvaal Scottish, which is proudly on display. This spectacular mansion has been beautifully restored.

We will explore the house and be enthralled by the story of the Cullinans and the history of the Transvaal Scottish, and we will also learn of domestic life in Victorian and Edwardian Johannesburg. But the highlight for many will be tea and scones served in grand surroundings!

GUIDES : David Gurney and Monique Jefferson McDonald
PARK : The View, 23 Ridge Road, Parktown
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 2 hours
COST : R170.00 for members and R240.00 for non-members – which includes tea and scones
MAX No : 40

 

BUS TOUR - ‘BACK TO THE 80s’

SUNDAY, 17th MARCH

Dust off your power suits, puff up your shoulder pads, and spray your perm in place, because we will be boarding our time travel bus to Johannesburg of the 1980s.
The 80s was lavish in its use of materials, and active in its use of decoration. Despite the sheen of its facades, it was a decade in which a sense of romanticism towards the past, either through literal imitation or allusion to its forms and ornaments, dominated design. The outcome was often exciting, luxurious and sumptuous, and sometimes just self-indulgent. Either way, it was a decade in which 70s utopian modernism was replaced by an acceptance of the complexity and kitsch of modern existence.

The decade started with a gold boom: economists predicted a growth rate of 5% and engineers reported being under massive pressure to meet their rushed deadlines. A remarkable series of buildings was conceived in this optimism: Jahn’s 11 Diagonal Street, a glittering blue diamond imposed on an historic urban fabric; the ethereal Johannesburg Sun and Towers; and the massive Standard Bank superblock, amongst others. Outside of the CBD, decentralisation to Sandton gathered steam, with its most remarkable product being the dramatically dark atrium of the Sandton Sun, its cascading waterfall and glass lifts providing a kinetic frisson unlike anywhere else in the City.

Join architects Yasmin Mayat, Brendan Hart and Brian Kent McKechnie as they explore the glitz and glamour of the 80s in Joburg, from the City through Parktown, and then to Sandton beyond.

GUIDES : Yasmin Mayat, Brendan Hart and Brian Kent McKechnie
PARK : Sunnyside Park Hotel, Princess of Wales Terrace, Parktown
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 3 hours
COST : R300 for members and R370 for non-members
MAX No : 50

CEMETERY TOUR - ‘CRYPT, CREMATORIUM AND MEMORIAL WALLS – BRAAMFONTEIN CEMETERY’

SATURDAY, 30th MARCH

In the 1930’s thousands of people became eco-conscious and opted for cremation rather than burial. A British prime minister led the way in saving green spaces and it became fashionable rather than simply the cheapest route. This led to building the crematorium in the Braamfontein Cemetery. Until then cremations had taken place at the Hindu Crematorium in Brixton.  The stone boundary walls were divided into sections providing elegant space for memorial plaques, but no space for the ashes themselves which might be take home and kept on the mantle-piece.  

But for those who preferred to find their final resting place below ground there was the option of the crypt. Not really as creepy as it sounds. It does have some handsome mini caskets – small ones like jewel cases. And some distinguished remains.

Join our tour Saturday 30th March to encounter Sir Willem van Hulsteyn, the ghost of Frank Wild and Gandhi’s German secretary, Sonja Schlesin.

GUIDES : Clare van Zwietan, Flo Bird and Sarah Welham
PARK : Braamfontein Cemetery, within the grounds close to the crematorium
TIME : 14h00
DURATION : 3 hours
COST : R100 for members and R170 for non-members
MAX No : 50

Bookings can be made either through this office 011 482-3349 / mail@joburgheritage.co.za or through Computicket.

 

 

 

BOOKINGS CAN BE MADE THROUGH COMPUTICKET EITHER AT A COMPUTICKET OUTLET OR ON-LINE.  WHEN BOOKING TICKETS, PLEASE USE EXACT NAME OF TOUR AS IT APPEARS ON THE PROGRAMME

FOR COMPUTICKET TELEPHONE BOOKINGS: (011) 340-8000

WHEN PAYING CASH PLEASE ALWAYS ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE THE CORRECT AMOUNT. IT WASTES TIME IF TOUR LEADERS HAVE TO GIVE CHANGE

BANKING ACCOUNT DETAILS – JOHANNESBURG HERITAGE FOUNDATION, NEDBANK PARKTOWN, ACCOUNT NO 1944023011 BRANCH CODE 194405

TOURS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE

FOR QUERIES CONTACT OFFICE ON TEL NO (011) 482-3349 (WEEKDAYS 9AM – 1PM) OR SEND AN E-MAIL TO mail@joburgheritage.co.za

 

 

Back To Top